Chinese (Mandarin)-English Bilingual Program
This program is a partial immersion program, from Kindergarten to Grade 12, where in elementary school 50% of the curriculum is taught in Chinese and 50% in English. Students are taught the same curriculum as others in the same grade level.
The goal of the Chinese Bilingual Program is to have students who are functionally fluent in Chinese as well as in English and to develop an appreciation of the language and culture of Chinese-speaking countries. The Chinese Bilingual Program prepares students to pursue post-secondary education in Chinese.
CHINESE (MANDARIN) BILINGUAL
Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual provides students with opportunities to acquire and maintain language skills in both Chinese (Mandarin) and English.
- Develop language and literacy skills in Chinese (Mandarin) and English, and use both to communicate
- Learn about Chinese culture
- Proficiency in English and Chinese
- Improved academic achievement
- Improved skills in the student’s first language
- Knowledge and appreciation of different cultures
- International language certification opportunities
- To register in Kindergarten or Grade 1, no previous knowledge of Chinese (Mandarin) is required.
- Students entering the program after Grade 1 are considered on an individual basis.
For more information about eligibility, contact a school offering Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual will receive the same high-quality education available in all of our programs.
- Kindergarten to Grade 6 - Some yellow busing options are available.
- Grade 7 to 12 - Edmonton Transit is the preferred method of transportation.
For more information about busing, contact the school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.